It's a little different from the usual scoop and level!
These days most all-purpose flour comes already sifted for you. The word "pre-sifted" will be on the front of the bag. This is why we measure flour "lightly" into the measuring cup.
- Choose the measuring cup size your recipe calls for.
- Choose a regular kitchen spoon. The kind you eat cereal with will do fine.
- Take a spoonful of flour from the container.
- Hold the spoon an inch or so over the cup.
- Tip the spoon so the flour falls gently into the cup. Think "high and light".
- Level off the top with a straight-edge kitchen knife. Perfect!
No-nos: You may be tempted to scoop or drag the cup through the flour. This will cause it to pack down in the cup and you'll end up with too much. I know from experience. One day, I did this while in a hurry and I made the driest biscuits you can imagine! Ha!